So it begins...I did start a wiki of my one on Wikispaces for Teachers. Having been a user of both the Wikispaces and PBworks, I chose the first because for me that site has been a little more user friendly and I think it might work better for the purpose I have in mind.
My Wikispace (hopefully) will become the discussion of the book, The Teaching Gap, by James W. Stigler & James Hiebert. At first I was wondering why my colleagues chose to give our particpants a book first published over 10 years ago. After reading the book, I realized that not much has changed in American education over the past 10 years and that the book is still relevant.
What I hope to change (possibly) for this grant is the way that our teachers discuss the book. By conducting the discussion on-line, I hope to engage them in using technology in a new way and give them ideas about how they can use it with their students.
So, the wiki space is created. Now I have to still figure out the difference between a page and a discussion and how they might be able to interact, but that is for another session. Right now the weather is just too nice to stay inside interfacing with my computer.
PS. Just a side note. Part of this assignment was to comment on of the other participant's blogs about anything you think is interesting about their learning......from looking at other people's blogs, I'm not sure this is happening and I'm wondering why. It would seem to me that this would be a valuable way for us to learn from each other. Any thoughts?
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is a not a response to your post here... but about your wiki question. The difference between PAGE and DISCUSSION on Wikispaces is that the PAGE is comprised of mostly static content, although it can be edited anytime. The DISCUSSION tab is where participants can make comments or talk about the content of the page you created.
ReplyDeleteThat's the typical convention - however, wiki's are pretty freeform and you can treat them as an online word processing document that you can edit at anytime.