Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thing 2 - Blogs

What makes a good blog?
Since I have read very few blogs and have written none, I'm really not sure what makes a good blog. From what I have read about blogs in the last day or two, it appears that one of the key components in a good blog is the content. Most sources agreed that a blog should be single-focused (or laser-focused) on a topic that you enjoy and/or have a passion about. Content needs to be relevant to the target audience and contain new information - not information that can be found in other places on the web. In addition, a good blog will be personable, with the voice of the author coming through. Reader comments are also an important part of a good blog as they help to build community, helping to keep the conversation engaging.

How could a blogs enhance your existing school web site?
Again, the idea of what blogs are and how they can function within an organization is new to me. Right now, I am open to exploring the possibilities. One question I need to investigate is what institutional guidelines / restrictions there might be on blogs that are linked to our organization's public websites. Other questions I have include: What are the differences between "public" and "private" blogs? How is a blog different than a discussion board?

Are blogs an easier way for people to self-publish?
On the surface, I would say "yes" - blogs make it possible for any and everyone who has an opinion to self-publish. However, with blog "publishing" I would think it would be hard to know if the audience that you hoped to reach through "publishing" was really reached. One of my favorite quotes attributed to George Bernard Shaw is: "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

Additional reflection on inital thoughts on the role of the Read/Write web.
In all the definitions of the Read/Write web, the ideas of connection and collaboration are pwoerful threads. It is my hope that I can find ways to tap into this potential on both a professional and personal level.

1 comment: